Through our work with the community, Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls (MMIWG), and other support systems, we seek to create culturally safe spaces for dialogue and dealing with issues facing Indigenous women, gender diverse peoples, and their families through land-based teachings and traditional values for a safer and more inclusive future.
YAWC focuses its support on Indigenous women, girls, and gender diverse victims of violence and mental or trauma illness and individuals and their families of MMIWG, whether they testified or not in the National Inquiry into MMIWG. YAWC is leading a growing number of initiatives in partnership with other agencies.
- MMIWG Outreach Program
- Finding Peace: MMIWG Commemoration Project
- Yukon Sisters in Spirit Vigil and Red Dress Campaign
- Whitehorse Food Bank Support
- Elder and Counsellor In-Residence
The following is a list of Yukon organizations that YAWC supports to foster collaboration in finding solutions for wellbeing and address the issues surrounding violence towards Indigenous women, girls, and gender diverse people in Yukon and northern BC.
- Women’s Transition Home - Refuge for women and children experiencing violence, Whitehorse
- Victoria Faulkner Women’s Centre - A safe gathering place & other supports, Whitehorse
- Dawson City Women's Shelter - Refuge for women and children experiencing violence, Dawson City
- Help and Hope for Families - Refuge for women and children experiencing violence, Watson Lake
- Yukon Status of Women Council - Women’s advocate
- Whitehorse Aboriginal Women’s Circle - Cultural supports & gathering space, Whitehorse
- Liard Aboriginal Women’s Society - Social development programs, Watson Lake
- Skookum Jim Friendship Centre - Women’s Legal Advocate Help Line: 867-633-7680 Ext: 1009
- Fetal Alcohol Syndrome Society Yukon - Prevention of FASD & support for individuals affected by FASD
- Yukon Public Legal Education Association, The Law Line - Help with resolving legal issues but does not give legal advice. Call toll free: 1-866-667-4305
- Yukon Legal Services Society, Legal Aid - Offer legal advice at no or minimal cost to low income earners. Call toll free: 1-800-661-0408 ext 5210
- Skookum Jim Friendship Centre - Youth Emergency Shelter & other supports, Whitehorse
- Victoria Faulkner Women’s Centre - Girls & Trans Rainbow Youth Group & The GNorth Network, Whitehorse
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Yukon - Safe Party Fridays & other supports, Whitehorse
- Yukon Child and Youth Advocate - Child & youth advocate
- Youth Achievement Centre - Day and after-school programs for youth-at-risk, Whitehorse
- Yukon Anti-Poverty Coalition - Voice Influencing Change & other supports
- Whitehorse Food Bank - Sally & Sisters Lunch Program (Mon & Fri 12-1), Whitehorse
- Blood Ties Four Directions Centre - Harm Reduction - Help reduce the harmful effects of drugs and alcohol use, Whitehorse. Call (867) 332-8268 (office) or (867) 334-1647 (Outreach Van after hours)
- Indigenous Services Canada, Non-Insured Health Benefits (NIHB) - Financial support for medical needs for First Nations (Status under Indian Act) and Inuit. Call toll free: 1-866-362-6717
- Indigenous Services Canada, Indian Residential Schools Resolution Health Support Program, Crisis Line - Help former Residential School students and their families with access to emotional and crisis support. Call toll free:1-866-925-4419
YAWC staff help clientele by meeting them where they are at in life and supporting them in developing their healing and prevention plans in a compassionate manner. Contact us today!