Through our work with the community, Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls (MMIWG), and other support systems, we seek to create culturally safe spaces for dialogue and dealing with issues facing Indigenous women, gender diverse peoples, and their families through land-based teachings and traditional values for a safer and more inclusive future.
YAWC focuses its support on Indigenous women, girls, and gender diverse victims of violence and mental or trauma illness and individuals and their families of MMIWG, whether they testified or not in the National Inquiry into MMIWG. YAWC is leading a growing number of initiatives in partnership with other agencies.
- MMIWG Outreach Program
- Finding Peace: MMIWG Commemoration Project
- Yukon Sisters in Spirit Vigil and Red Dress Campaign
- Whitehorse Food Bank Support
- Elder and Counsellor In-Residence
- Sally and Sisters/Soeurs Lunch Program
The following is a list of Yukon organizations that YAWC supports to foster collaboration in finding solutions for wellbeing and address the issues surrounding violence towards Indigenous women, girls, and gender diverse people in Yukon and northern BC.
- Sexualized Assault Response Team (SART) - Safe and confidential network of services that focus on the needs and choices of someone who has been sexually assaulted. Call 24-Hour Support Line 1-844-967-7275
- Women’s Transition Home - Refuge for women and children experiencing violence in Whitehorse.
Crisis Line (867) 668-5733.
- Victoria Faulkner Women’s Centre - A safe gathering place in Whitehorse where women can connect with one another, access support and services, and work together to create positive change for women and the community. Call (867) 667-2693.
- Dawson City Women's Shelter - Refuge for women and children experiencing violence in Dawson City.
24-Hour Support Line (867) 993-5086.
- Help and Hope for Families - Refuge for women and children experiencing violence in Watson Lake.
Call (867) 536-7233 [collect calls accepted].
- Yukon Status of Women Council - Women’s advocate - A local and national, equality-seeking and awareness group. Call (867) 667-4637.
- Whitehorse Aboriginal Women’s Circle - Cultural supports & gathering space - Provides access to culturally relevant programs, projects and supports in a safe space. Call (867) 668-7532.
- Liard Aboriginal Women’s Society – Educational, cultural and social development programs in Watson Lake.
Call (867) 536-2097.
- Skookum Jim Friendship Centre - Women’s Legal Advocate - Delivers support services to women involved in the legal/justice system including criminal justice, victim support, child protection, landlord and tenancy issues, wellness court, and family legal matters. HelpLine 867-633-7680 ext. 1009.
- Fetal Alcohol Syndrome Society Yukon – Provides support for individuals affected by FASD and FASD prevention resources. Call (867) 393-4948.
- Yukon Public Legal Education Association, The Law Line- Helps with resolving legal issues but does not give legal advice. Call Toll-Free 1-866-667-4305.
- Yukon Legal Services Society, Legal Aid - Offers legal advice at no or minimal cost to low-income earners. Call (867) 667-5210 ext. 1 or call Toll-Free 1-800-661-0408 ext 5210.
- Skookum Jim Friendship Centre - Youth Emergency Shelter & other supports in Whitehorse. For access to the emergency shelter, please call (867) 633-7699.
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Yukon - A safe and supportive place where children and youth can experience new opportunities, overcome barriers, build positive relationships and develop confidence and skills for life through personal and social development programs in Whitehorse. Call (867) 393-2824.
- Yukon Child and Youth Advocate - Child & youth advocates who represent the rights, views and preferences of children and youth who are eligible, or currently receiving government services and programs.
Call Toll-Free 1-800-661-0408.
- Youth Achievement Centre - Day and after-school programs for youth-at-risk and young people in the youth justice system in Whitehorse. Call Toll-Free 1-800-661-0408 ext. 3759.
- Yukon Anti-Poverty Coalition (YAPC) - Voice Influencing Change & other supports - YAPC facilitates the elimination of poverty in the Yukon through awareness, advocacy and action (e.g., Whitehorse Connects). Call (867) 334-9317.
- Whitehorse Food Bank - Sally & Sisters Lunch Program (Tues & Thurs 11:30am-1pm) at the united church and Food Pick-up(Tue & Thu 10am - 12:45pm and 3pm - 4:45pm and Wednesday (families with children only) 10am - 12pm.
- Blood Ties Four Directions Centre - Harm Reduction- Helps reduce the harmful effects of drugs and alcohol use in Whitehorse. Call (867) 332-8268 (office) or (867) 334-1647 (Outreach Van after hours).
- Indigenous Services Canada - Non-Insured Health Benefits (NIHB)- Financial support for medical needs for First Nations (Status under Indian Act) and Inuit. Call Toll-Free 1-866-362-6717.
- Indigenous Services Canada, Indian Residential Schools Resolution Health Support Program - Crisis Line – Helps for former Residential School students and their families with access to emotional and crisis support.
Call Toll-Free 1-866-925-4419.
YAWC staff help clientele by meeting them where they are at in life and supporting them in developing their healing and prevention plans in a compassionate manner. Contact us today!