MMIWG2S+ Outreach Support Circle -
You are invited to join this free information session to hear directly from your local community supports on services they are able to provide. Join us in Watson Lake from March 16th- 17th at the Rec Centre or for more information call Joy O'Brien MMIWG Outreach Support Program Coordinator at 1-866-667-6162.
Outreach Support Circles
The Circles are community-based in an indoor setting over a 2-day period, with the first day as an “ice-breaker” focused on informal introductions through sewing or other engaging activities, with family members of MMIWG from that community. The second day is public and open to community members at large.
The Circles bring together victims of violence, family members of a MMIWG, and community members, and inter-agency service providers who want to learn more about issues of violence towards Indigenous women and gender diverse people and about MMIWG in their community.
Inter-Agency Service Providers
- Yukon Government, Victim Services (e.g., Child and Family, Sexualized Assault Response Team- SART, FILU)
- Coroners Service; Archives Office
- RCMP (local detachment, Historical Case Unit - HCU)
- Yukon Government, Health Centre/Mental Health Hub professionals
- First Nation Government, Health and Social/Wellness Department representatives
- NGOs that provide support for victims of violence and their families
The Circles are coordinated by the YAWC Outreach Coordinator in collaboration with FILU staff and aim to create an inclusive, safe, and caring space for individuals and the community to gather and share information about issues. YAWC also monitors the progress made on addressing violence and MMIWG in their community, missing persons open cases, and the support available to community members.